Doctors used to tell women not to eat anything during labor—they were worried the moms-to-bemight vomit and choke. Now, we know that isn’t a problem and instead of asking women to fast, we tell them to approachlaborlike a marathoner! It's a long game—you’ll need to be properly fueled!

Eat Simple Carbs During Labor

Forget the old advice of fasting and take this as an excuse to carb load! Try eating simple carbs duringlabor to maintain your sugar levelsand keep your energy up!Fruit juice, honey sticks, toast and jam, bread or crackers are all great snacks for labor.

DrinkLots of Electrolytes

You’ll also want to bring a drink that will replenish your electrolytes, such as sports drinks or coconut water.

What to EatAfter Delivery

After delivery, a hydrating fruit like watermelon is a great snack. You also want to have a little fresh aloe vera juice or prune juice, to keep from getting constipated from the combo of fasting and carbs.

About Dr. Harvey Karp

Dr. Harvey Karp, one of America’s most trusted pediatricians, is the founder of Happiest Baby and the inventor of the groundbreaking SNOO Smart Sleeper. After years of treating patients in Los Angeles, Dr. Karp vaulted to global prominence with the release of the bestselling Happiest Baby on the Block and Happiest Toddler on the Block. His celebrated books and videos have since become standard pediatric practice, translated into more than 20 languages and have helped millions of parents. Dr. Karp’s landmark methods, including the 5 S’s for soothing babies, guide parents to understand and nurture their children and relieve stressful issues, like new-parent exhaustion, infant crying, and toddler tantrums.

View more posts tagged, health & safety

Have questions about a Happiest Baby product? Our consultants would be happy to help! Submit your questions here.

Disclaimer: The information on our site is NOT medical advice for any specific person or condition. It is only meant as general information. If you have any medical questions and concerns about your child or yourself, please contact your health provider.