The Ultimate Baby & Toddler Book List
On This Page
Reading to your baby or toddler helps develop important pre-literacy skills, it bolsters vocabulary, it buoys emotional intelligence, and it works wonders at stirring budding imaginations. Plus, reading together is an amazing bonding experience for you and your little one! Need help selecting the just-right books for your baby or toddler? Here’s help!
Must-Have Books for Babies & Toddlers
Letters, numbers, colors, animals, and more: These fundamental books work to build skills, bolster confidence, and bring joy to mini “readers.”
- 15 Classic Baby Books That Belong in Every Nursery
- 40 Best Books for a Baby’s First Year
- ABC Books Babies and Toddlers Love
- Learn Colors with These 9 Brilliant Books
- The Best Number Books for Babies and Toddlers
- 9 Animal Books Babies Adore
- 16 Bedtime Books to Lull Your Little One to Sleep
Best Books for Babies & Toddlers By Age
The best books for your baby or toddler will change as they grow. As you look to graduate from board books to simple picture books...and beyond here are some developmentally appropriate picks for every age.
- Best Books for 6- to 12-Month-Olds
- Best Books for 12- to 18-Month-Olds
- Best Books for 18- to 24-Month-Olds
- Best Books for 2- to 3-Year-Olds
Best Toddler Books For Lesson-Learning
With your help, books can be wonderful tools to help children navigate emotions, relationships, and big changes. Allow these reads to be your side-by-side guide.
- Best Potty Training Books for Toddlers
- 10 Books About Big Emotions for Little Kids
- Must-Have Books About Becoming a Big Sibling
- Kids’ Books That Teach Empathy and Kindness
- 12 Best Kids Books About Friendship
- First-Day-of-School Books to Banish Jitters
Best Multilingual Books for Babies & Toddlers
Looking to build a bilingual household? These books can help!
Best Baby & Toddler Books That Celebrate Diversity
If your kiddo’s bookshelf is peppered with characters that look, sound, and live just like them, you’re missing an important opportunity to expand their view of the world! Here are some books to help diversify your storytime.
- Books That Highlight Amazing Native Stories
- Kids’ Books That Celebrate LGBTQ+ Stories
- 13 Kids’ Books About Incredible Women in History
- Children’s Books That Celebrate Black History
- 11 Kids’ Books That Share Asian American and Pacific Islander Stories
- Books That Teach Kids About Race, Justice, and Equality
- 7 Children's Books To Honor Juneteenth
Seasonal Books for Babies & Toddlers
What better way to celebrate a new season or holiday than with a brand-new book!
Fun Baby & Toddler Books with Something Extra
Check out these flip-the-flap books, audiobooks, and reads that make your tot wiggle, shout, and shake!
More About Baby & Toddler Reading, Literacy, and Language
Bolster your child’s literacy skills with these expert tips.
- How to Level Up Storytime With Your Baby
- 12 Toddler Literacy Activities for Budding Bookworms
- Stylish Nursery Bookshelves to Entice Reading
- 11 Science-Backed Ways to Boost Language Development
Psst: While you’re book shopping, don’t forget books for you. Here are Dr. Harvey Karp’s best-selling books on raising babies and toddlers:
- The Happiest Baby on the Block
- The Happiest Toddler on the Block
- The Happiest Baby Guide to the Best Sleep
Have questions about a Happiest Baby product? Our consultants would be happy to help! Submit your questions here.
Disclaimer: The information on our site is NOT medical advice for any specific person or condition. It is only meant as general information. If you have any medical questions and concerns about your child or yourself, please contact your health provider.