Questions to Ask While Interviewing Pediatricians
Picking a pediatrician is a big decision and for some parents…but it is a bit of an odd experience: Not many of us interview 5 dentists before choosing one.
What should you ask? How do you know you’re choosing the right one for your baby…and you?
How to Choose a Pediatrician
When you interview health care providers for your baby, there are two main areas you want to learn about: general philosophy – someone who is in sync with your approach to wellness and who will support you on your parenting journey – and the nitty-gritty of how the office is run.
Parents often change pediatricians not because of the doctor themselves, but because of how the office is run!
Questions to Ask a Pediatrician
When you’re interviewing a pediatrician, take this list of questions with you:
- Do you support breastfeeding? How so? Whom do you recommend as a lactation consultant when a mom has problems?
- What are the early signs of breastfeeding problems…and what is the best way to avoid problems?
- Do you recommend using formula?
- What is your stance on immunizations?
- What are 4-5 ways you would recommend to prevent illness in a baby?
- Are there other doctors/nurse practitioners/physician's assistants in the practice?
- Who sees me if my child is sick? Who sees me in an after-hours emergency?
- Do you have sick and well visitor entrances?
- How long is the usual wait to be seen, after a family arrives in office?
- Do you take my insurance plan?
- What are your office hours?
Putting in the time to choose the best doctor and practice for your baby is well worth it! Good luck!