What to Write in a Baby Shower Thank You Card
On This Page
Your baby shower’s over. Before you wash all the onesies and put clean fitted sheets on the bassinet, there’s one little task to prioritize: the baby shower thank you notes! Even if you opened your gifts at the shower and had an opportunity to say thanks in person, it’s still a warm and considerate gesture to follow up with a hand-written baby shower thank you card.
The people you invited to your baby shower are your village. You’ll be leaning on some of them for advice, home-cooked meals, and companionship during the newborn days ahead, so why not show them how much they mean to you now with a thoughtful baby shower thank you card?
But if you’re struggling to put your gratitude into words, don’t worry—we’re here to help you come up with the perfect baby thank you note wording for everyone in your village!
When should you send a baby shower thank you card?
Standard baby shower etiquette says to try to send your baby shower thank you notes out within two to three weeks after the event. You can make the process easier with a bit of advanced planning:
- Before the shower, buy your stationery or make personalized thank you cards online using your favorite maternity photo.
- Make sure you have enough stamps. There’s a larger selection online than in your local post office and you can choose something special such as flowers or even Sesame Street characters.
- Keep a written log or an online spreadsheet of all the presents you receive in the mail and at the shower, matching the giver to the gift. This way, not even “pregnancy brain” can stop you from remembering who gave you what, and you can make your note more personal.
- Set a goal for how many notes to draft each day and schedule your writing sessions at a convenient time, such as right after dinner.
- It’s much more convenient to complete your thank you notes before the baby arrives because after that momentous day, you’ll be busier than ever caring for your newborn. But should you miss the window, remember that it’s never too late to show your gratitude, and a belated card or even a sweet text with a photo of Baby is better than nothing at all!
Who do you need to thank with a baby shower thank you note?
Everyone who came to your shower or sent a gift gets a thank you note. If a few friends pooled their resources to get you one gift, you should still thank each giver individually. But if all of your co-workers (say 10 or more people) chipped in, you might consider writing one gushing email or letter that you post in your office break room for all to see.
How to Write a Baby Shower Thank You Card
There’s a simple three-sentence formula for baby shower thank you wording that never fails:
- A general thanks for coming to the shower or sending a gift
- A specific reaction to the present given
- A closing statement of appreciation
Here’s how your baby shower thank you note might look in practice:
It meant so much to me that you could come to my shower. Thank you for the adorable onesies—I cannot wait to see them on our baby girl. You are such a generous friend and I’m so glad to have you in my life.
If you have more to say, go for it, but three sentences is a great target. Plus, it won’t take you too long to get done!
Baby Shower Thank You Wording Examples
Mix and match at will, or let these examples inspire your own creativity if you’re still looking for things to write in a baby shower card.
Classic baby shower thank you wording:
- Thank you for coming to my baby shower. I absolutely adore the books you chose to start Baby’s library and I can’t wait to read them to her. I hope you’ll visit soon and read a few yourself!
- I loved seeing you at my baby shower. Thank you the snuggly teddy. I’m lucky to have a veteran mom like you in my corner, and you know I’ll be asking you for a lot of advice.
- My favorite part of the baby shower was giggling with you! I absolutely love the pajamas you picked out. Our baby’s going to have the sweetest dreams thanks to you.
- Thank you for coming to my baby shower! It was amazing to catch up—and I so appreciated all of your well wishes and advice. I know the little one will love having you in her life as much as I do!
- Thank you for making the trip to our shower last week! Thank you so much for the darling Sleepea swaddle—from what I hear, it'll make life a lot easier once Baby arrives. I always appreciate the thought you put into everything!
Baby shower thank you wording to an out-of-town guest:
- It was wonderful seeing you at the shower and I’m so glad we got to catch up. Thank you for the baby bathtub. I know my little one will feel cozy and safe in there, and I’ll make sure to tell him who sent it!
- I can’t believe you got on a plane just to come to my baby shower. You are the greatest for giving us the baby swaddle—here’s hoping it helps Baby sleep. Thank you for being you!
- Thank you for making the trip to come to my baby shower. I’m blown away by your hand-knitted blanket and I know we’ll have it in our family forever. I am fortunate to be so loved.
- I’m so touched that you made the drive to my baby shower! While your presence was gift enough, the darling teddy bear was a lovely surprise that I know Baby Boy will adore. Thank you again for all you’ve done!
Baby shower thank you wording for someone who sends money or a gift card:
- Thank you for the very generous check you sent. We are excited to use it to buy Baby’s stroller. We can’t wait to cruise over and thank you in person!
- Thank you so much for the generous gift card. We can’t wait to put it toward the finishing touches of Baby’s nursery! Our little one is lucky to have you in her life!
Thank you so much for contributing to our Baby Fund—it’s going to help make furnishing the nursery of our dreams…a reality! We’re so grateful for your generosity!
- Thank you for the gift! We have a long list of things to do before Baby’s arrival, and your generosity will help ensure we’re able to get some of the very important items we need. We so appreciate you thinking of us!
Baby shower thank you wording for someone who missed the shower:
- It was such a nice surprise to receive a diaper bag from you. I love the style, which is good since I’ll be wearing it everywhere! Thank you for thinking of me.
- Thank you for the amazing baby carrier! We missed you at the shower but will have to plan a get together soon. You are so thoughtful.
- Your presence was sorely missed at the baby shower but thank you so much for sending such an amazing gift. How did you know the play gym was the number one thing I wanted from my registry? I can’t wait for you to meet the baby!
- Thank you for giving us the best mail day ever (Little Man’s wardrobe just got infinitely cuter with the outfits you sent). Missed you bunches at the shower, but please know I’ll think of you every time he’s rocking duds from his favorite “auntie.” Hope we can catch up over the holidays and you can meet Baby in person!
Final Thoughts on Baby Shower Thank You Notes
At the end of the day, the best way to express gratitude is from the heart! Rest assured that no matter what you write in your baby shower thank you notes, your words will be warmly received.
Have questions about a Happiest Baby product? Our consultants would be happy to help! Submit your questions here.
Disclaimer: The information on our site is NOT medical advice for any specific person or condition. It is only meant as general information. If you have any medical questions and concerns about your child or yourself, please contact your health provider.