My wife and I have been swaddling our 9 month old for naps and nighttime since birth. Now we can’t get him to sleep without it! Help!
Currently there is only one version of The Happiest Baby on the Block book. Chapter 15; titled “The Magical 6th “S” : Sweet Dreams!”, covers sleep patterns, weaning from the 5 S’s (swaddle), etc. It is not uncommon for some babies to need to be swaddled at 9 months of age & some may even need it up to a year! You can help wean your son from the swaddle faster by using white noise (either a CD or machine). Dr. Karp highly recommends our ‘Super-Soothing’ Sleep Sounds CD as it contains 5 tracks of specially engineered white noise and is great as it is portable and can be used in cars, DVD/CD players, etc. Many parents find the CD of white noise beneficial for years to come!
It can sometimes be difficult for sensitive, “high-strung” babies to wean out of the swaddle and be in a totally silent room. By playing the CD of white noise continuously throughout the night at the sound level of a soft shower, your son will be able to be in a zone of ‘comfort’ and will not try to struggle against the swaddle until he is ready.
- My 3-month old son wakes up early from naps and can’t put himself back to sleep. What do I do?
- how do I wean my baby from swaddling?
- My youngest daughter keeps crying in the daytime, she doesn’t sleep & she always wants my breast to calm and to sleep…
- I used the 5s with my son. He is now 6 months old and I need help teaching him to sleep unswaddled.
- My daughter is 8 months old – Is it time for her to stop swaddling? If so what is the best way to do this without confusing her and losing her routine?