Requirements for Certification
Individuals interested in taking The Happiest Baby certification program must have at least one of the following two qualifications:
a) Already be certified or licensed in a pregnancy/infant care related specialty (for example, childbirth education, lactation, doula, nursing, midwife, massage therapists, PNP, PA, etc.)
b) Be parent educators with 1 year of teaching experience (for example, La Leche League, teen or adult parenting classes, child care educators, adoption and foster care workers, and child abuse counselors).
Prior to certification all participants must:
a) Review Required DVDs::
- Educator Training DVD
- The Happiest Baby on the Block DVD
- All text on the Educator Resources CD-ROM
b) Complete Required Reading:
- The Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Harvey Karp
- AAP Policy Statement on Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Pediatrics 2000; 650-656. (included on the EducatorResources CD-ROM)
- The ‘fourth trimester’: A framework and strategy for understanding and resolving colic, Contemporary Pediatrics 2004; 21:94 by Dr. Harvey Karp (included on the EducatorResources CD-ROM)
- AAP Technical Report on Shaken Baby Syndrome. Pediatrics 2001;108:206-210. (included on the Educator Resources CD-ROM)
- Effects of bottles, cups, and dummies on breastfeeding in Preterm infants: A randomized controlled trial BMJ 2004; 329:193-198. (included on the EducatorResources CD-ROM)
- Remarks on Receiving the C. Anderson Aldrich Award. Pediatrics 1977; 59:389-395. (included on the Educator Resources CD-ROM)
- Science and the 4th Trimester – Three ways that research is pointing the way…back. (included on the EducatorResources CD-ROM)
- The Nursing Mother’s Companion by Kathleen Huggins
- The Amazing Newborn by Marshall Klaus and Phyllis Klaus
(Other required reading materials will be added to this list from time to time.)
c) Complete Certification Packet includes: Certification Examination, Educator Agreement, Certified Educator Referral Form
d) Pass Certification Examination on basic knowledge and skills (the test is an open book test that requires a 90% grade to pass).
e) Sign and returned Educator Agreement.
Candidates have 1 year from their purchase date to finish all requirements of the program.
Support Materials CD
About The Happiest Baby Program – 1.0
This section offers an introduction to the certification program, Dr. Karp and his theories, and some general information about The Happiest Baby course curriculum.
Certification Program – 2.0
This section provides details about certification and answers many commonly asked questions about the program. The following can be found in the Certification Packet: Educator Agreement, The Happiest Baby Order Form, Certification Exam, Certified Educator Referral List.
Class Curriculum and Handout Section – 3.0
This section contains a sample overview of a two to three hour class that can be taught by all certified educators. All handouts contained in this section are copyrighted and approved for reproduction and distribution in class by a certified educator.
Business Forms Section – 4.0
This section contains the forms necessary to succeed in teaching your The Happiest Baby classes.
Logos and Images – 5.0
This section contains logos that are very helpful when used in print material for advertising purposes. There are also many images that can be used on institute or educator websites and for media opportunities.
How To Run a Business and Marketing – 6.0
This section contains recommendations on how to be successful in business. This information should be helpful for those teaching independently. It includes the tools needed to spread the word about classes. Examples of class flyers are also enclosed. These can be used for classes, baby fairs, advertising in brochures, etc.
Media – 7.0
This section contains details on how to work with the media. It is an educator’s quick guide to making the most of media pitches and interviews.