Becoming an Educator
“When I have needed encouragement, a pat on the back, clarification, and focus you have been there for me. I am so empowered as I continue to impact the field of family education. Thank you so much.”
Certified Happiest Baby Educator
The Happiest Baby Certification Program is NOW AVAILABLE
Since our release date in 2004, thousands of educators have enrolled in our program. We hope you decide to join our team!
Our founder, Dr. Harvey Karp, is a nationally renowned pediatrician and child development specialist. His innovative approach to baby calming and sleep promotion has been praised by leaders of the American Academy of Pediatrics, Lamaze, DONA, Prevent Child Abuse America, and many others. He is a leader in the field of parenting education and is passionate about improving the lives of children, as well as their relationships with parents and caregivers.
The two most important parenting skills for new parents are learning how to successfully feed their baby and calm them when they are crying. Confidence and bonding are built by learning these skills.
In 2002, Dr. Karp’s techniques were introduced to millions of families through his best-selling book and DVD, “The Happiest Baby on the Block.” It solved the 3,000-year-old medical mystery, “What is colic? And, how can you solve it? The Happiest Baby teaches parents how to quickly calm their baby fussing and instantly boost sleep. Parents around the world have come to trust Dr. Karp and his work. No wonder the New York Times praised his contributions to modern pediatrics by proclaiming, “Roll over Dr. Spock!”
As part of his vision to strengthen the bond between parents and their children and to help create happier, healthier, more loving families. Dr. Karp developed The Happiest Baby Education Association in 2004.
Since 2004, thousands of educators have enrolled and become certified worldwide. Educators are teaching at university hospitals (e.g. University of Michigan, University of Alabama, Northwestern), community hospitals, state programs (e.g. Pennsylvania WIC, Wyoming nurse home visitors, Alabama child death review board), postpartum depression programs, teen parenting classes, fatherhood groups, US military hospitals and bases around the world, etc.
The results have been encouraging. In 2008, the University of Arizona conducted a survey of 225 parents-to-be before and after a Happiest Baby class. Parents reported a dramatic improvement in their confidence. Pre-class ~ 40% were moderately to very worried about their ability to calm their fussy baby and handle problems. Post-class that number dropped to a mere 0.5%!
Persistent infant crying can be a trigger for terrible frustration for new parents. The Happiest Baby Education Program can give new parents confidence and communities substantial cost savings, by:
- Diminished calls/visits to MD’s with crying, sleepless babies
- Fewer diagnostic tests for sepsis and acid reflux and fewer unnecessary prescriptions of drugs
- Reduced incidence of breastfeeding failure…leading to improved infant and mother health (reduced breast cancer, childhood obesity and diabetes)
- Reduced incidence of postpartum depression…with reduced incidence of missed work, school, doctor visits, medication, suicide, etc.(hormonal changes “load the gun” for PPD, but infant crying virtually “pulls the trigger”)
- Reduced incidence of Shaken Baby Syndrome with dramatically decreased hospital and rehab care, legal costs, etc. (It is estimated that besides the terrible human tragedy of SBS, each case costs taxpayers $1-2 millon over the life of the child. Preventing even a single case of SBS would more than pay for this program for an entire county).
- Reduced incidence of SIDS (exhausted mothers often place their restless baby prone to sleep, swaddling and white noise all night can immediately boost a baby’s sleep and persuade moms to use the correct position)
And of course there is a tremendous benefit from increasing a parents feeling of competence and bonding with their infant and improving the overall psychological health of the family unit.
It is estimated that saving a single child from brain injury from SBS would help pay for this program for an entire community for several years.
The Happiest Baby Certification Program is available to educators in countries around the world. It is a book and DVD-based learning program that can be completed at your pace.
We invite you to join our team! We truly believe that we can help you in your good efforts to improve the lives of parents and babies in your community.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us with your questions at 888-980-8062.